Thursday, March 3, 2011

The best of times... the worst of times.

Yesterday the Nanny arrived at 8:30 AM and The Boy and I had been up since 6:30 AM playing and rough housing.   We had eaten, brushed teeth, read books and chased the dog.  When the Nanny arrived I pass The Boy off and I go prepare for the work day.  Just after going into my room to shower and dress I heard The Boy let out a scream and begin to pound on my bedroom door.  This is not unusual as he does not like it when I have to leave him to get ready.  I heard the Nanny try everything she could to console him.  After 5 or 10 minutes I heard him calm down.  When I was ready to depart I exited my room and went to the kitchen to get  a cup of coffee and tell The Boy good bye.  When I walked in to the kitchen the Nanny was holding The Boy and reported to me how upset he was because he could not find me.  The Boy reached out from the Nanny and wanted me to hold him (I wish so bad I could show you guys a picture of him, he has to be the most beautiful little boy you have ever seen).  I scooped him up from the Nanny and he placed his head on my shoulder, tucked his hands, and closed his eyes.  It was only 8:50 AM.  I could have stayed in that moment forever.  I was at my calmest sense of being that I think I have ever felt.  I love this little creature.  I proceeded to walk around the house for the next 10 to 20 minutes singing and rocking him, he never woke up.  I took him into his bedroom, placed him on his bed (big boy bed - whole other set of funny stories there - I don't care who you are, it is funny when they fall out), and covered him up.  That afternoon the Nanny said he slept till 1:00 PM!  Wow!  I guess he just needed his daddy.  I guess I just need him too.  I was very late for work :)

4 comments:

  1. These are the moments life is about; not running and gunning, climbing the corporate ladder, receiving awards and promotions....that all fades, those awards become reduced to a frame on a wall and redistributed to another the next year.....life is love; life is following Christ; life is family. Pity the man who on his deathbed remembers most his career and his coroporate days for they are fleeting. Imagine the disappointment of an entire life is spent building up a net, based on career dreams fulfilled and goals accomplished, intended to catch you at your death, that crashes at the end, never catching you at your most needed moment, but rather sending you into your eternity more empty with a realization of true emptiness.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.
    Matthew 6:20

    I ask you all, how are you striving to store up in heaven rather than on earth?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you decide to go down the SAHD road I have an idea... Have several of your coworkers write letters to your son for him to open on different birthdays and/or occasions. They could write stories about "the good old days" with his Dad. Heck, maybe they could even write a few for him to read at career days when he goes to school.

    Just an idea.

    Al

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always remember that it is your children's opinions of their parents when they become adults that is a true measure of your parenting. So far it appears to me you both receive a A+.

    ReplyDelete