Saturday, February 19, 2011

Taming the stallion!

This last Saturday was a new event in our household and a altogether new event for me, Blessed, and The Boy!  The Boy is a outstanding kid all the way around, however he has had a devoted fan base (me, Blessed, and his nanny) from day one till present.  He has always had someone there with him constantly bending to his every whim.  As he becomes older (1 1/2 years) he is starting to act out more and become increasingly aggressive with his tantrums.  So this weekend, while having having one of his (few) outbursts, The Boy began to scream and then head butted Blessed.  After seeing this I knew it was time to do something...I had to break the stallion!  Not having any other ideas and never have done this parenting gig before, I took The Boy, sat on the couch in the quiet living room and held him firmly.  Not being able to move freely and do as he wished, The Boy lost his mind!  He screamed, jerked, and cried uncontrollably.  I continued to hold him firmly, keeping his hands to his sides, and speaking calmly into his ear explaining what was going on and why he was in time out.  I explained to him that when he could calm down and act in an appropriate manner I would allow him to get down.  He wasn't going down without a fight.  The Boy went from level 6 to 10 and this continued for at least 20 minutes.  And then, as if turning off the water, he stopped.  He pointed at a toy in the corner and said "ball".  So the questions for all of you are... did I break him, did I do the right thing, will this make any difference in the future?

1 comment:

  1. It will not be the last. As my father said " Paying for your raising" and then with a giggle!!!!

    ReplyDelete